Western Digital - Datacenter Systems (DCS) Business Unit is a dynamic organization that is enabling customers to store data forever and derive value from data assets. Building on our innovations, leadership and expertise in storage technologies, we are delivering software based, scale-out storage systems for enterprise and cloud service providers.
The Product Management team is seeking a Product Manager to expand our engineered storage system offerings for our enterprise and cloud storage provider customers that help us grow our business faster.
How to tell if you’ll love this position
- You are passionate about the distributed storage and networking space believing that data storage changes the world. You are a technologist, able to understand fundamental constraints and challenge non-fundamental ones.
- You are inspired by current and future customers’ use of distributed storage, and you have a never ending desire to change their lives for the better.
- You thrive on the day-to-day collaboration with engineers and other product managers, reaching across team boundaries to make the right things happen. Leading an agile team of product owners, scrum-teams through sprints and the whole program increment with all the quick decisions based on observe-and-improve is what gets you excited.
- And, finally, with your strong entrepreneurial bias, you have a contagious desire to continually improve how things are envisioned, planned and executed.
In this position, you will...
- Lead the definition, execution, and roll-out new distributed storage systems platforms and software – in collaboration with system architects, other product managers, product owners and scrum teams.
- Influence the roadmap based on strategic and near term customer needs.
- Develop detailed user stories and short, concise business cases.
- Present our vision, portfolio of products, and customer workflow oriented solutions, roadmap or individual features to customers, including at events and executive briefings.
- Define go-to market, decide on MVP and product-market fit, manage product to market release and delivery including running beta programs, early adopter opportunities, etc.
- Collaborate with and learn from world leaders in SDS, cloud computing and storage services.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in distributed storage systems platforms and software.
- 5+ years of experience as a (technical) product manager, architect, sales engineer, or similar occupation.
- 3+ years of experience planning and managing complicated projects in extremely fast-paced environments.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, systems engineering, or a related field.
- 3+ years as a systems engineer, storage engineer, solutions architect or software engineer.
- 5+ years overall high tech industry experience in other / adjacent domains.
- Experience working with product marketing and sales/business development to deliver products to market.
- Experience defining product requirements in one or more of the following domains:
SDN, Data Center Networking, Big Data, Security/Compliance, AI, ML, Analytics or Enterprise Storage/Data Protection.
- Experience with object storage, file systems, NVMe, distributed systems, data pipelines.
- Conceptual and technical understanding of storage, including network interfaces (NFS, SMB, REST and block), file system technology, data protection schemes, replication, erasure coding.
Equal Employment Opportunity
WDC is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.