Are you looking to become a Python expert, learn on the job Linux inside-out and be exposed the virtualization? Do you want to be part of the engineering team of the leading provider of storage solutions? Well, we might just have the opportunity for you!
We are looking for a Junior Cloud Software Engineer to strengthen our engineering team at the development center of Western Digital in Ghent, Belgium.
You will work on the ActiveScale product line, our latest Object Storage system delivering storage capacity up to hundreds of PetaByte. More specifically you will be part of the scrum team that is responsible for the development of our cloud infrastructure and virtualization with thousands of VMs used to develop and test ActiveScale.
You will have the opportunity to start your professional career by learning from some of the world’s brightest storage experts and contribute to a state of the art product. If you want to learn to develop software with a focus on Quality, Performance, Scalability and Robustness, you should contact us.
- Through our Agile development process driving features from demos to production ready code through several iterations
- Taking Product Owner’s input on new features and product enhancements, and translating this into well tested and well architected implementations
- Create well documented code which is quality assured by unit, component and integration tests, run through our continuous integration environment, giving you instant feedback
- Iterate on improving design and functionality and get the liberty and opportunity to step outside the beaten path on our quarterly hackathons
- Whatever you create, as long as it's created from the perspective of our customers, you'll create value and get appreciation for it
- Master in computer science or equivalent
- A genuine interest for programming in Python
- Basic administration & troubleshooting of Linux Server
Skills considered a plus
- Experience with Ansible, Django
- Familiarity with open source Python packages and Python test frameworks
- Experience with virtualization software
- Experience as a Linux system engineer
- Understanding of Cloud and Enterprise storage concepts and products
- You enjoy working with other people and delivering as a team. When the team is at risk of missing out on its commitment, you'll help out even if that means stepping out of your comfort zone
- You're open to get feedback from your peers through code review and pair programming
- You’re looking forward to be working in a team with clear coding guidelines and high standards for code
- You enjoy working with people from other cultures and time zones
- You like working in an environment that appreciates humor, fun and off-work activities
What's in it for you?
- A market competitive salary with benefits
- An environment with top-notch, technical savvy people that are respected within the worldwide storage scene and beyond
- A scrum team that takes coaching of young graduates serious
- We expect and reward hard work but we realize that there’s more than work and that getting a good work-life balance isn’t always that trivial
- Working in a global company with local properties
- We organize outside-work-events (both sporty as non-sporty)
- We take every opportunity to ‘celebrate’ serious
- Travelling to Silicon Valley or the Silicon Valley of India (Bangalore) is possible
- We organize frequent (internal) training and personal development events
- An easy to reach location either with public transport, by car far away from the daily traffic jams or by bicycle on safe cycling roads
- A work environment supportive of a healthy life (daily fruit, freshly cooked soup, a free gym subscription, …)