Recent breakthroughs in data encryption allow you to do calculations on encrypted data, without knowing the encryption key. This is called Homomorphic Encryption. You can do operations such as:
MagicAdd(Encrypted(num1), Encrypted(num2)) = Encrypted(num1 + num2), MagicMultiply(Encrypted(num1), Encrypted(num2)) = Encrypted(num1 * num2) # Without knowing the encryption key!!
This can unlock tremendous business value e.g.
- Processing secure data in an insecure cloud (Medical, genetic, financial, legal, voting, …)
- Use a trained neural network to do predictions on encrypted data e.g. image recognition on X-Ray images
The goal of this project is to work with our security experts:
- Experiment with homomorphic encryption and/or multiparty secure computation
- Student can choose to work more theoretical or more practical
- Build a demo which processes encrypted input data and produces encrypted output data (e.g. a mathematical calculation or a machine learning prediction)
- Integrate this demo in the Western Digital ActiveScale storage system such that encrypted data is written into the data storage system, and some encrypt calculation is returned
- C/C++ programming (Python and Java also possible) to make a cool demo
- Finding open source libraries to use e.g. https://github.com/shaih/HElib or https://github.com/n1analytics/python-paillier or https://github.com/Microsoft/SEAL
- Apache Kafka API for getting notifications about new data to be processed
- 6-week internship
- Between July & September, you can choose when.
- Degree: Master Of Science - Computer Engineering.
Upload your CV or send an e-mail to email@example.com!